Thursday, October 29, 2009

"It's Just Going Too Fast!"




When I tuck my 3 kids into bed each night, I always pray with them. They also enjoy having me sit in their rooms with them to visit for a bit too. I must admit, I normally have so many other "irons in the fire" that I tend to just squeeze in a minute or two of chit-chat and then rush on about my business so that I too can get some sleep!

Last night however, was not one of those nights. While I was folding laundry and the boys were finishing up dinner, J asked me, "If I go to bed right now, would you have time to visit with me for a while?" I said yes, so she literally jumped in bed right then! After I instructed the 2 boys on what needed to be done, and put the laundry down, I wound up lying in her bed visiting and talking about anything and everything from dolls, to scrapbooking to school, etc. She was holding my hand, which I find sweet, yet also amusing (she is physically affectionate, yet she knows she has something to hold onto in attempts to pull me back in once I try to walk away). ;) I was about ready to make my rounds through my boy's rooms when E walked in and said, "When are you going to come pray with me??" I got slightly irritated with him for having gotten out of bed in the first place and not trusting me to keep my word. All I said was, "I suggest you make your way back to your room right now. I will be in there in just a minute."

After having prayed with N, I went to find E. I explained to him why I was upset with him, but he didn't say a word. I then lied down to visit with him for a minute, and he handed me one of the books he had taken to bed with him. It was by Karen Kingsbury (if you have never read this book, be forewarned, it is a MAJOR tear jerker!!! If you have read it, then you'll totally understand where I'm coming from) called, "Let Me Hold You Longer." I assumed he was wanting me to read it to him, when he said, "I'm upset." When I asked why, he opened it to the last page and said, "Read this and you'll know." I thought the book just made him sad, but then he started boo-hooing and said, "It's just going too fast!!! I never want that day to come! I just love you so much, I can't ever let you go!"

I instantaneously felt guilt for having corrected him without finding out why he had come to look for me, and my heart melted at the same time. I just held on to him and cried with him.

So hold on to your kids and cherish every moment, because the time is going by way too fast!


"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him." Psalm 127:3

“Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered—how fleeting my life is." Psalm 39:4

"Be very careful, then, how you live-not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is." Ephesians 5:15-17

1 comment:

Lori said...

YES it is!!!!! Thanks for the reminder!