Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's a Small World After All...

Small world stories have always fascinated me, and since I have a couple of my own, I thought I would share...

1. A couple of years ago, I was at the church working (not during my regular hours), and the phone rang (which it had been doing a lot that day, so I didn't think anything of it). The voice on the other end of the line said, "Hello. May I speak with Bethany?" I identified myself as such, and then she told me that our husband's worked together, and that's how she got my number. My first reaction was, "Uh-oh!" Because just one month before I had received a call from one of Paul's co-worker's spouses crying and all upset, wanting some help and advice on their crumbling marriage. I thought, "Surely this isn't another one of those situations!?"

Thankfully, that wasn't the case at all! The lady on the phone (Meghan)and another lady (I forget her name) were planning on going to the park and wanted to invite me & the kid's along. I had other plans that afternoon, but was trying to think of how I could work around them so I could join in on the fun...you know me-ready and willing to meet new people at any given point in time! Anyhow...I said, "Sure. Which park are you going to?" When she told me the name of it, it didn't sound familiar. So I asked her where it was located and then she told me another name that didn't sound familiar. I then concluded that she lived near the plant and didn't realize I was an hour away. She then asked me where I was. But when I told her, she responded with, "Where?" I told her again, and she then asked in a reserved tone of voice, "Where does your husband work?" I said, "In Old Ocean." She said, "In the ocean???" By now I was beginning to figure out that I wasn't who she thought I was! I explained that he worked in a gasoline refinery in the town of Old Ocean, and she asked very hesitantly, "You mean...your husband isn't in the Coast Guard??" I said, "No.?" We start laughing, and she says, "Let me read the phone number to you...so she reads, "___-___-0598" and I said, "That's the number, and my name is Bethany, but I'm not the person you're looking for." I asked her where she was and she said, "Oregon!" She asked me where Edna was and of course you all reading this know the answer to that question! So anyhow...she starts talking and visiting...I told her it wasn't my home number, that it's the church where I worked. She asked what type of church it was and I told her Baptist. She said, "Everyone in Texas is Baptist, aren't they? Just kidding!" She was a Christian though...we established that much. We went on to discuss several things & found out we had lots in common...just a few examples: She had three kids, I had three kids. Her oldest was nine, my oldest was nine. Her middle son was going to be 7 in August, my youngest son was going to be 7 in August...It was crazy! Needless to say, we had a really good, encouraging conversation! She ended with, "Is this a divine appointment or what? Well, ________(insert the lady with the forgotten name here) is here waiting to go to the park, so I better let you go." I told her I hoped she and the other lady had a GREAT time at the park, and was sorry I couldn't go with them that day, but there was always next time, right? We still keep up with one another through e-mail and Myspace, too.

How weird was that??

2. I moved to West Virginia for the summer (3 months & 8 days to be exact) when I was 19 and worked at Rock Lake Putt-Putt in South Charleston. To this very day, it is still the absolute most favorite job I've ever had...well, besides being a wife & mom! ;) It really helps the environment when your boss is a Christian (& runs his business like it) too! The day before I was flying back home, I was standing at the ice cream counter and was tracing my name in the ice. Someone standing nearby asked what I was doing that for, and I said, "I'm leaving to go home tomorrow, and I'm leaving them something to remember me by." :) She said, "Where are you from?" I told her, and then she said, "My best friend lives in Victoria!" I asked for her name, and when she said, "Christy Spradlin" it shocked me! She and her entire family were members at our church, and I had known them practically all my life!!

Wild!

3. This is my most recent encounter...if you keep up with my blog, then you're aware that Paul and I just got back from a "Weekend to Remember" marriage conference (that had 4,200 people there, remember?). A couple of days ago, I get an e-mail from a lady (Hi Lezlee!!) saying that she has also been reading my blog, and she and her husband were also at the same conference!!! Although we didn't meet while there, I thought that was pretty neat. And I was equally excited to see that I actually had a "real" blog reader...not that you don't count Mom, but... :) Just kidding!!!


From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind; from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth- he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do. Psalm 33:13-15

No comments: