Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Bible Verse Scavenger Hunt

I wanted to tell you about a neat little thing I did for the kids a while back...Although I can't take full credit for it. I own a book by Shirley Dobson and Gloria Gaither, entitled, "Making Ordinary Days Extraordinary." One of their ideas was to go on a scavenger hunt around the house. I started to think about everything I could do and how I could pull it off. You can certainly add to this list, come up with your own ideas, and change it as you need to (depending on the ages of the kids, etc.), but I wanted to let you know how we did ours. It was so much fun!!!

First, I found some paper and printed out a sign that said, "Each day brings its own surprises." Proverbs 27:1. I put each one in an envelope, labeled it with each childs name and took them to their school while they were at lunch and laid them on their desk.

Next, I stuck another clue in a pocket in the back seat of the car (peaking out), that said, "So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by LETTER." 2 Thessalonians 2:15. That took us to the post office, where they found their next clue...

"I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord." Psalm 122:1. We went to the church where they searched for their next clue...

"Sing to him a new song; PLAY skillfully, and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3. That took us to the children's park where they got to play for a while (until they found their next clue).

It said, "Then Joshua blessed them and sent them away, and they went to their homes." Joshua 22:6.

So then we loaded up and went back home where their "surprise" was waiting. Homemade sugar cookies with the Bible verse, "Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him." Psalm 34:8.


It was a blast and I thought your kids/grandkids/friends/students might enjoy doing something like that as well. Just an idea...

No comments: